Milk and Oat Bars
This homemade version of popular breakfast or "energy" bars uses whole grains and dried fruits to make the perfect portable breakfast.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dried figs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the condensed milk until warm, about 2 minutes, without bringing to a boil. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared pan, gently pressing mixture into all corners of the pan.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until the mixture looks dry but is not browned. The mixture should only be slightly sticky at this point.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire rack. Allow the mixture to cool completely in the pan.
- Use a large, flat spatula to invert the contents of the pan on to a cutting board. Slice into 12 equal-sized bars.