Mini Cinnamon Rolls
Tiny cinnamon rolls are fun to make and eat. The cream cheese frosting adds a nice depth of flavor.
Serves: 36Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 2 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 package (2 1⁄4 tsp.) active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 10 Tbsp. softened butter, divided
- 1 large egg
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 Tbsp. heavy cream
- Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine yeast and warm water; set aside.
- Combine milk, granulated sugar, honey, and 4 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; heat until butter melts, about 3 minutes. Let cool to lukewarm. Add cooled butter mixture and egg to the yeast mixture; beat for 1 minute. Gradually add enough flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Punch down dough. Divide in half; roll each half to an 18-by-6-inch rectangle. Spread each rectangle with 3 tablespoons butter.
- In small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over rectangles. Roll up tightly, starting with 18-inch side. Cut each roll into 18 slices (1 inch) and place, cut-side down, on prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bake rolls for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream cheese and 3 tablespoons butter over low heat and melt together. When melted and smooth, remove from heat and stir in confectioners’ sugar and cream to make a spreadable frosting. Spread frosting over warm rolls.