Mini Codfish Cakes
These are a wonderful appetizer served with tartar sauce or aioli.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. grated horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless fillet of cod
- 1 large egg
- 3 slices good white bread, torn
- 1 tsp. minced dill
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fine white breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- Mix sour cream and horseradish in a small bowl. Set aside. Bring lemon juice and water to boil, then add fish and boil until it flakes, about 8 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Put the fish, egg, bread, dill, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper in the food processor or blender and pulse until coarsely mixed. Turn out onto waxed paper.
- Form into small cakes and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil to 350ºF in a large frying pan. Fry cakes until well browned. Serve hot or warm with horseradish sauce.