Mini Cornmeal Rhubarb Crisps
With soft. lemon-flavored fruit blanketed beneath a crunchy, sweet cornmeal crust, these little crisps make a sensational spring dessert for company.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp. nonhydrogenated vegetable shortening
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Take out 4 ramekins (4").
- Place the rhubarb, sugar, and lemon juice into a mixing bowl and toss well to coat. Divide mixture evenly between the ramekins.
- Place the lemon zest, cornmeal, brown sugar, and oats into another mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Add the shortening to the bowl and work into the mixture using your hands. When a sturdy crumb has been achieved, sprinkle mixture over the rhubarb, dividing evenly.
- Place ramekins on the middle rack in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Set aside to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm.