Mini Fresh Fruit Tarts
These little tarts add a touch of elegance to any occasion.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup apricot jam
- 8 premade mini tart shells
- 4 oz. white chocolate, melted
- 1 can (11 oz.) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 kiwi fruit, sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup rainier cherries
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, butter, and 1⁄4 cup sugar over medium heat until it just comes to a boil. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar with flour, cornstarch, and eggs. Add half of the heated milk mixture. Whisk to mix well, then transfer mixture to the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly. Stir in the vanilla. Remove pan from heat and pour into a bowl. Cover the surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Heat the jam in a saucepan over low heat. Strain the jam and set it aside (keeping it warm). Discard solids that remain in the strainer.
- Paint the bottom of the tart shells with the melted chocolate; chill a few minutes to harden it. Spread the pastry cream over the chocolate to the edges of the crust.
- Lay the fruit on top of the pastry cream. Brush the fruit with the jam.