Mini Heart-Shaped Puff Pastry Pizzas
These mini pizzas pack in a double whammy – not only are they miniature, but they are heart-shaped, which means they’re infinitely more adorable than your average pie!
Serves: 8Prep: 30 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add butter to a medium non-stick skillet. Turn the heat to medium and add onions, ½ teaspoon sugar and salt. Toss onions to coat in butter, sugar and salt and let caramelize, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- While the onions cook, use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out pizzas from the puff pastry sheet. Use the excess dough to make more pizzas by forming it back into a ball and rolling it out with a rolling pin (you may need to use a little bit of flour to keep the dough from sticking). You should end up with 8 pizzas.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar, salt, tomato paste, water and oregano. If you like your sauce on the thinner side, add more water. Season to taste with salt.
- Use a spoon to spread pizza sauce on the pizzas. Evenly divide cheese between them and sprinkle with onions and roasted red peppers.
- Bake until pastry is puffed and cheese is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve. Refrigerate any leftovers.