Mini Lobster Quesadillas in Avocado Sauce
Josephina Santacruz is the executive chef at Pampano, New Yorkʼs hottest modern Mexican restaurant. Her lobster empanada inspired this creation.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 medium ripe Haas avocado, peeled, pitted, and roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup salsa verde
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 lb. cooked lobster meat
- 1 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 4 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- Using a fork or potato masher, mix the avocado with the salsa verde, lime juice, sour cream, salt, and pepper until combined, but still chunky. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the lobster, cheese, and garlic. Equally divide the mixture between 2 of the tortillas, spreading it out evenly.
- Heat a small sauté pan on medium and add 1 tablespoon oil. Place 1 of the lobster-topped tortillas in the pan and cover it with 1 of the plain tortillas, forming a “sandwich.”
- Fry until golden brown, flip over, and fry the opposite side until golden and the cheese has melted, about 4 minutes total. Transfer the quesadilla to a plate and keep warm. Repeat the process for the second quesadilla.
- To serve, cut each quesadilla into quarters and arrange on a plate. Spoon some of the avocado sauce over the quesadilla.