Mini Muffins with Bananas and Chocolate Chips
This recipe was created by America’s Test Kitchen Kids. Have some ripe bananas on hand? Bake a batch of these mini-sized muffins for a sweet snack or breakfast! Safety Considerations: This recipe uses the microwave and the oven.
Serves: 24Prep: 50 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1 1⁄3 cups (6⅔ ounces) allpurpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 very ripe bananas (skins should be speckled black)
- 1⁄2 cup (3½ ounces) sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup (2 ounces) mini chocolate chips
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 24-cup mini muffin tin well with vegetable oil spray (make sure to get inside each mini cup!).
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Peel bananas and place in large bowl. Use large fork or potato masher to mash bananas until broken down but still chunky.
- Add sugar, melted butter, yogurt, egg, and vanilla to bowl with bananas and whisk until combined.
- Add flour mixture and chocolate chips and use rubber spatula to gently stir until just combined and no dry flour is visible. Batter should look thick and chunky—do not overmix.
- Spray 1-tablespoon measuring spoon with vegetable oil spray. Use greased measuring spoon to scoop 1 heaping tablespoon batter into each muffin tin cup.
- Place muffin tin in oven. Bake until muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of 1 muffin comes out clean, 13 to 15 minutes.
- Use oven mitts to remove muffin tin from oven (ask an adult for help). Place muffin tin on cooling rack and let muffins cool in muffin tin for 15 minutes.
- Using your fingertips, gently wiggle muffins to loosen from muffin tin and transfer directly to cooling rack. Let muffins cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.