Mini Shepherd’s Pies
Ground lamb and veggies in a flavorful sauce, beneath a crisp blanket of mashed potatoes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups diced potato
- 1⁄2 lb. lean ground lamb
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium stalk celery, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp. no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 5 Tbsp. low-fat milk
- 2 Tbsp. nonfat sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. all-purpose salt-free seasoning
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried chives
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Take out 4 ramekins (4 inches) and set aside.
- Place diced potato in a saucepan and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and continue boiling for 10 minutes. While the potatoes are boiling, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add lamb, onion, garlic, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- In the last minute of cooking, stir in the peas, tomato paste, and herbs. Spoon contents into the ramekins.
- Once the potatoes are tender, drain, then mash. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Spoon 1⁄4 of the mashed potato mixture into each ramekin and smooth, making sure edges are completely sealed. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Place sheet on middle rack in oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately.