Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Combining the cool, fresh zing of mint to cold cream is a match made in heaven. The addition of dark chocolate chips makes it rich and delicious, a summertime favorite around the world.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 11 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 20 mint leaves, washed
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. mint extract
- 1½ cups dark chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, salt, and mint leaves; stir over medium heat. Once simmering, remove from heat, cover, and allow to steep for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the leaves. Reheat milk mixture over medium-low heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks. Once milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- Pour heavy cream into a large mixing bowl over an ice bath. Strain custard into the cream, stirring until cooled. Add vanilla and mint extracts, stir, and place in refrigerator until thoroughly chilled, about 5 hours or overnight.
- Once chilled, add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Toward the end of the freeze cycle, add in the chocolate chips.