Mint Chocolate Ice Cream
Mint baking chips are added to this rich chocolate ice cream for the ultimate frozen treat.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar, divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup crème de menthe baking chips
- Melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler over hot, not simmering, water, stirring continuously. Set aside. Whisk together the egg yolks and 1⁄4 cup of the sugar. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining sugar, cream, and milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Whisk about a quarter of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolks. Whisk the egg yolks into the remaining cream mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, for about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and fold in the melted chocolate. Cool to room temperature; cover and chill at least 1 hour.
- When the custard is cold, add the mint baking chips, process in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions, and serve.