This is a great way to use slightly over-ripened berries.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, stems removed
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, stems removed
- 1 cup fresh blackberries, stems removed
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 pie shell (9"), unbaked
- 1 pie crust (10"), unbaked and cut into 9 strips (1")
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, 1 cup of sugar, flour, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Toss well and let stand 10 minutes. Tip into the 9" pie shell and dot with butter.
- Top with the pastry strips. Lay 5 strips of pie dough across the top of the filling about ½" apart. Starting ½" from the edge of the pie, fold back every other strip and lay down 1 strip of pastry. Fold the pastry back down and fold back the other pieces. Lay down a second strip about ½" from the first strip. Repeat this process until all the strips are used. Trim the dough to 1" of the pans edge. Tuck the edge of the top crust under the edge of the bottom crust. Crimp the dough with your fingers. Brush the lattice with beaten egg and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly in the center and the lattice is golden brown. Cool completely before serving.