Mixed Berry Walnut Pie
This recipe also can be used to create a single berry pie. Try using just one berry like black raspberries, blueberries, or blackberries.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- Uncooked pastry for a double-crust, 9-inch pie
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 packed cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 5 Tbsp. butter, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a deep-dish 9-inch pie plate with 1⁄2 of the pastry, leaving 1 inch of the pastry hanging over the edge of the plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the nuts, berries, lemon juice, sugars, cinnamon, and flour; mix lightly. Spoon into the prepared shell. Dot with 3 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the remaining pastry into a thin round and cut into 1⁄2-inch wide strips. Moisten the edge of the bottom pastry with water. Arrange the pastry strips on top of the pie, forming a lattice top. Trim the ends of the strips as necessary and press the ends together with the bottom crust.
- Turn the edge of the bottom crust and strips under and flute to make an attractive rim. Melt the remaining butter over a low heat in a small saucepan. Brush the lattice and edges with the melted butter.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top crust is golden.