Mixed Vegetables and Herb Soup
Use a combination of your favorite vegetables for this recipe. Corn, peas, and carrots work well in this recipe. You can also use a frozen blend that contains potatoes
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cups frozen mixed diced vegetables
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. ground white pepper
- ¼ cup grated pecorino Romano cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 sprigs thyme
- In a soup pot, melt the butter on medium heat. Sauté the vegetables for 4 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the flour. Add the broth, stirring often as you bring it to a boil. Add the garlic and bay leaf. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes.
- When the mixture has cooked, discard the bay leaf and allow the soup to cool slightly. Drizzle in the cream and reheat the pot almost to a boil. Remove from heat and, again, allow to cool slightly.
- Using a blender or food processor, purée the mixture along with the cheese. Return the mixture to the soup pot and reheat, but not boil. Add the pepper, salt, and nutmeg. Garnish with thyme sprigs.