Coffee and chocolate are meant for each other. You’ll agree as soon as you try these cupcakes.
Serves: 14Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. strong brewed coffee, cold
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, vinegar, and water until smooth. Gently stir wet ingredients into flour mixture, stirring until there are no large lumps. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until 3⁄4 full.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes.
- To make frosting, combine shortening, margarine and 1 cup powdered sugar in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until smooth. Beat in coffee and remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Add remaining powdered sugar and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.