Mocha Meringues with Chocolate and Almonds
These mocha-flavored meringue kisses have a sweet, nutty crunch.
Serves: 36Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ⅛ tsp. cream of tartar
- ⅓ cup superfine sugar
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 Tbsp. natural cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
- ⅓ cup shaved chocolate
- ⅓ cup toasted, slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form, using an electric mixer on a medium speed. Scrape the sides of your bowl.
- Adjust the mixer to a high speed and gradually sprinkle in the sugars, cocoa powder, and espresso powder, whipping until stiff peaks form.
- Using a scoop with a 1" diameter or a teaspoon, place mounds of meringue on the prepared baking sheets. Or place the meringue in a pastry bag fitted with a ½" round tip, and pipe in cone shapes on the baking sheets. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate and almonds. Turn off the oven, but leave the meringues in the oven for an additional 30 minutes. Remove and place the pans on cooling racks.