Mocha Mini Soufflés
Dark chocolate pastry becomes lighter than air in these irresistible individual soufflés.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1½ Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. natural cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup whole milk, room temperature
- 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- ⅓ cup superfine sugar
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter six individual soufflé dishes. Set aside
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, cocoa powder, and espresso powder until thickened (about 2 minutes). Slowly add the milk and bring to a boil, whisking continuously. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate until smooth. Whisk in the egg yolks, one at a time, and the vanilla. Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites, using an electric mixer on a high speed, until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in the superfine sugar and beat until stiff peaks begin to form. Fold a quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Lightly fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour into the prepared dishes. Place the dishes on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until puffed. The soufflés should be baked around the outside edges and creamy in the center.
- Dust with sifted confectioners’ sugar and serve warm.