Mocha Pound Cake
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp. instant coffee crystals
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, cream the shortening until light. Sift together the sifted cake flour, sugar, instant coffee, salt, cream of tartar, and baking soda directly onto the shortening. Add the water and vanilla and mix until the flour is moistened. Then beat vigorously for 2 minutes until smooth. Add the eggs and chocolate. Beat for 1 minute. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until top springs back when touched lightly. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack to cool completely.