Mock Chopped “Liver”
Hereʼs a vegetarian substitute that tastes just like the real thing! This spread keeps for 3–4 days covered tightly in the refrigerator.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut in quarters
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 loaf sliced cocktail bread
- 2 large hard-cooked eggs, peeled, and chopped
- Add lentils to a 4-quart slow cooker. Pour in water to cover lentils by at least 2". Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Drain lentils in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onions are browned, about 10–15 minutes.
- Add the lentils, onions, quartered eggs, walnuts, salt, and black pepper into a food processor. Process in short pulses until the mixture becomes a smooth, thick paste.
- To serve, spread mixture on slices of cocktail bread and top with chopped egg.