Mock Chopped “Liver”
Hereʼs a vegetarian substitute that tastes just like the real thing! This spread keeps for 3 to 4 days covered tightly in the refrigerator.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 5 large hard-cooked eggs
- 1 cup brown lentils, rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1⁄2 tsp. coarse salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 loaf sliced cocktail bread
- Peel eggs. Roughly chop 2 eggs and set aside. Cut remaining 3 eggs in half and set aside.
- Add lentils to a 4-quart slow cooker. Pour in water to cover lentils by at least 2 inches. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours. Drain lentils in a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions. Sauté, stirring frequently, until the onions are browned, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place lentils, onions, halved eggs, walnuts, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Process in short pulses until the mixture becomes a smooth, thick paste.
- To serve, spread mixture on slices of cocktail bread and top with chopped egg.