Mock White Sauce
This recipe for white sauce has all the body of a full-fat sauce with just a few calories.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat dry milk
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. sea salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground white pepper
- Process skim milk and nonfat dry milk in a blender until mixed. Set aside.
- In a heavy medium nonstick saucepan, melt the butter over very low heat. The butter should gently melt; you do not want it to bubble and turn brown. While the butter is melting, mix together the flour, salt, and white pepper in a small bowl.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour mixture to the butter and stir constantly.
- Once the mixture thickens and starts to bubble, slowly pour in some of the milk mixture. Stir until it’s blended in with the roux. Add the remaining milk mixture and continue cooking, stirring constantly to make sure the sauce doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the sauce begins to steam and appears that it’s just about to boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.