Save to My Recipes
Use unsulfured molasses for these cookies, preferably Grandma’s Molasses brand.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutes
Makes: 72 cookies
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground allspice
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, cayenne pepper, and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together shortening, butter, and brown sugar until creamy. Add egg and molasses; beat well. Stir in flour mixture.
- Roll cookie dough into 1" balls. Place granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Dip the top of each ball in sugar; place on 2 large ungreased baking sheets, sugar side up.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes. Let cool on wire racks.