Mom’s Chicken Salad
This classic chicken salad combined with a flaky croissant makes the ultimate sandwich.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 medium stalk celery, diced
- 1 Tbsp. chopped chives
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 4 small croissant rolls
- In a 4-quart saucepan with a lid, arrange chicken breasts in a single layer. Pour in chicken stock, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and thyme. If stock is not covering chicken breasts completely, add some water.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to low and cover pot; poach chicken 10 to 12 minutes. An instant-read thermometer placed in thickest part of meat should register 165°F. Transfer chicken with a slotted spoon to a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from plastic wrap and cut into cubes. Add chicken, mayonnaise, celery, remaining salt, and pepper to a medium serving bowl. Stir well to combine. Slice croissants in half. Add a scoop of chicken salad to the bottom half and place the other half on top.