(Almost) Mom's Chicken Soup
If Mom hails from Eastern Europe, where many dishes are perfumed with dill, she probably uses this seasoning copiously.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken thighs (4 oz. each)
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and diced
- 5 cups low-salt chicken broth
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup very small cooked pasta, such as stars or pastina
- ¼ cup fresh chopped chives
- In a pot, combine chicken, onion, celery, carrot, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Simmer for 1 hour, covered.
- Remove the chicken thighs and break into small pieces. Return the meat to the pot. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta to the pot. Heat through and divide between 2 bowls to serve topped with chives