This meatloaf is pure comfort food. Leftovers are great crumbled into spaghetti sauce, or used for the classic meatloaf sandwich.
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 slices sandwich bread, crumbled into small pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ lb. ground pork
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. mustard
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and butter. Add onion and mushrooms; cook and stir until vegetables are tender and mushrooms have given up their liquid, about 10 minutes. Continue cooking until the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Remove to large bowl and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, combine ketchup, mustard, and brown sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, sour cream, salt, pepper, and mushroom mixture and mix well. Add ground meats, mixing with your hands until combined. Form into two loaves and place on a broiler pan. Brush the tops of each loaf with the ketchup mixture.
- Bake for 60–70 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 165°F. Tent loaves with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.