Moroccan Chicken with Tomatoes and Chickpeas
In Morocco, a traditional tagine is a stew cooked at very low temperatures so the meat has time to become very tender.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 chicken (3 lbs.), cut into 8 pieces
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sauté onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, chickpeas, broth, paprika, ginger, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and add chicken. Return to a boil, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.