Moroccan Tagine of Chicken and Chickpeas
In Morocco, a traditional tagine is a stew cooked at very low temperatures so the meat has time to become very tender. This is a quicker version, using boneless chicken thighs.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (3 oz. each), cut in chunks
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp. ground paprika
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. all-purpose seasoning
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Add chicken, broth, chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, carrot, garlic, paprika, ginger, seasoning, and turmeric to a large saucepan. Cook on medium-high for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro before serving.