Mountain Honey Lamb with Prunes
You can buy ghee for this recipe, or use clarified butter. Serve this with warm, fresh pita bread.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 5 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 Tbsp. ghee
- 2 lbs. boneless lamb, cubed
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2½ cups water
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp. blanched almonds
- 2 lbs. small potatoes, peeled and boiled until tender
- Spray a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with nonstick olive oil spray.
- Heat 3 tablespoons ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the lamb and onion for about 10 minutes, until the meat is lightly browned. Place lamb and onion mixture in slow cooker.
- Add dates, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, honey, and water to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Half an hour before serving, add the lemon zest and remaining ghee. Top with almonds and serve with potatoes.