Mousse au Citron (Lemon Mousse)
This lemon mousse is perfect to end a summer meal. Try to use organic lemons so you can use the lemon peel safely.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 large eggs, yolks and egg whites separated
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ¾ cup water
- 2 lemons, divided
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Put the egg yolks in a small saucepan.
- Put the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer, with the salt. First whisk moderately for 1 minute, then increase the speed as the whites get firmer. Stop when the whites are extra firm.
- In the small saucepan with egg yolks, add the sugar, cornstarch, and the water. Using a box grater, grate the peel of one lemon over the saucepan. Then cut the lemon in two and squeeze it. Squeeze the second lemon, and put the juices of both lemons in the saucepan.
- Put the saucepan over low heat, and stir continuously until it starts to simmer. Remove from heat once it starts to simmer (it should not boil at all), and add the butter. Stir and let it cool down.
- Pour the lemon custard in a large serving bowl. When it has cooled down, slowly add the egg whites to the preparation, folding ¼ of the egg whites into the lemon custard at a time, until they are all perfectly combined. Put in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Serve cold.