Mozzarella Marinara Sticks
Everyone loves mozzarella sticks, and this is a bit of a healthier version. Serve these with sliced vegetables.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1½ cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 8 sticks part-skim mozzarella cheese, about 1" in width and 3" in length
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced parsley
- ½ tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- On a plate, mix breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese together. Crack the eggs into a small bowl, and beat well.
- Dip each stick of cheese into beaten eggs and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Place breaded cheese in a single layer on a plate and cover with plastic wrap. Place in refrigerator at least 30 minutes, so crumbs can adhere to the cheese.
- In large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil and fry cheese until brown on one side. Turn the cheese sticks and brown on other side. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Prepare marinara sauce in same large skillet. Spray skillet with nonstick cooking spray, and sauté garlic over low heat. Add parsley, basil, oregano, tomatoes, and tomato sauce to skillet and mix well. Simmer for about 1 hour, until thick.
- Serve cheese sticks with warm sauce.