Multigrain Blueberry Muffins
Your own blueberry muffins, hot from the oven, just can’t be beat. These are tender and fragrant, with great flavor from the orange zest and cinnamon.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup plus 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- ½ cup oat bran
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 2 egg whites
- 3 Tbsp. canola oil
- ½ tsp. grated orange zest
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 12 muffin cups with nonstick baking spray containing flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, pastry flour, brown sugar, ⅓ cup granulated sugar, oat bran, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine applesauce, buttermilk, orange juice, egg whites, canola oil, orange zest, and vanilla and beat well. Add to dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in both types of blueberries.
- Divide mixture among muffin cups. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons granulated sugar over batter. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and firm. Remove from cups and cool on wire rack.