Whole-wheat flour, rolled oats, sunflower seeds, and millet are the grains in this hearty loaf. The fiber comes from whole wheat, millet, oats, and sunflower seeds. They all add some protein, too.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 packet (¼ oz.) yeast
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⅓ cups warm water
- 3 Tbsp. soft butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp. uncooked millet
- Combine yeast, ½ teaspoon sugar, and ⅓ cup water in a bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine remaining water, butter, remaining sugar, salt, and baking powder. Mix in the all-purpose flour, followed by the yeast mixture, with an electric mixer. Add the whole-wheat flour, rolled oats, sunflower seeds, and millet. Knead with a dough hook for 10 minutes.
- Turn dough into an oiled bowl and put in a warm place. Cover and let rise for 2 hours, until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough, then shape it into a cylinder, and place it in an oiled loaf pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 90 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Uncover bread, and bake for 40 minutes.