Multigrain Dinner Rolls
Whole-wheat flour, rolled oats, and sunflower seeds make up the multiple grains in these fiber-rich dinner rolls. They are also delicious with butter, herbed olive oil, or cream cheese.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 35 minutesTotal: 5 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 packet yeast
- 3 Tbsp. warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 2 1⁄2 oz. melted butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, divided
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup flax seeds
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- Combine yeast and water and let sit for 5 minutes to proof.
- Add milk, butter, salt, 1 egg, and sugar to the yeast mixture. Mix well.
- Stir in the all-purpose flour with a wooden spoon or the paddle attachment to an electric stand mixer. Gradually add whole-wheat flour and rolled oats. Knead with a dough hook for 10 minutes. Put dough in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for 90 minutes.
- Punch down dough, divide into 12 pieces, and roll each piece in a ball. Place dough balls on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Beat remaining egg in a small bowl.
- Uncover rolls, brush with beaten egg, and sprinkle with flax and sesame seeds. Bake for 15 minutes.