Mushrooms add a rich and earthy flavor to this vegetarian sauce.
Serves: 6Prep: 25 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutes
- 1⁄2 ounce dried mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) crushed tomatoes with basil
- Place dried mushrooms in hot water; allow to stand 10 minutes. Remove mushrooms and save water.
- Place rehydrated mushrooms, onion, carrot, creminis and garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with blade. Pulse until finely chopped, working in batches if needed.
- In a 3-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, heat oil and butter. Add vegetables, salt and pepper; cook 8-10 minutes until deeply caramelized. Add tomato paste and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in reserved mushroom water and work up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for 10-15 minutes to blend flavors. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- Make it a meal: Serve with your favorite cooked pasta and green salad.