Mushroom Cabbage Rolls
Cabbage rolls are great snacks for late summer afternoons.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 5 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ¾ cup brown rice
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1½ Tbsp. safflower oil, divided
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 lb. green cabbage leaves
- Soak rice in broth overnight. In a medium saucepan, add rice, broth, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Bring to boil, lower heat, and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Spread rice out in a wide bowl to cool slightly.
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and sauté onion, garlic, mushrooms, and remaining salt until mushrooms are soft. Stir mushroom-onion mixture, cilantro, and walnuts into cooled rice and set aside.
- Steam the individual leaves of cabbage until soft and set aside to cool.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet. Roll 2–3 tablespoons rice mixture into one cabbage leaf. Place each roll, seam-side down, in skillet. Pan fry cabbage rolls until crisp on bottom, about 5 minutes, and serve.