Mushroom Cream Soup
This soup can be used as a base for casseroles; it’s particularly good in a chicken casserole.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh chives
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in the flour, then add the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer half the soup to a blender. Vent the top of the blender and cover with a dishcloth to avoid the mixture erupting from the blender. Puree and move to a bowl. Repeat the process with the remaining soup and return all the soup to the pot. Bring back to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and chopped parsley. Simmer for another 10 minutes. Garnish with chives.