Savory pies are common in Italy and France, but with the exception of quiche, not too well known here. It’s a shame, because they make beautiful presentations, and with the right ingredients they’re unforgettable. This one is French in origin.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 premade pie pastry (9")
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. milk
- 6 large leeks, white parts only, chopped
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package (10 oz.) white mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme
- Roll out the pie crust very thin, and press it into a 10" tart pan. Trim any excess from edge of pan. Refrigerate until needed. Whisk together the eggs and milk.
- Heat oven to 400°F. In a heavy skillet over medium heat, cook the leeks in a few drops of water until they’re bright green, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the leeks with the cream, salt, pepper, and mushrooms; mix well. Fill the pie bottom with the vegetable mixture and sprinkle with cheese and thyme. Bake in center of oven until golden and bubbly, about 35 minutes. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into wedges.