Mushroom Mashed Potatoes
The basic mashed potato recipe here is simply spruced up with the addition of mushrooms.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1⁄2 lb. cremini mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 Tbsp. chopped scallions
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Add the kosher salt and bring to a very gentle simmer. Cook very slowly for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a pan until it stops bubbling. Add the mushrooms, garlic, salt, and pepper, and sauté until the water that releases from the mushrooms evaporates. Remove from heat.
- Drain the potatoes very well. Mash the potatoes with the remaining butter and the half-and-half. Fold in the mushrooms and scallions.