Mushroom Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
To make quick work of dinner, make the meatballs in advance when you have a spare moment and refrigerate or freeze them until you are ready to bake the casserole.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3⁄4 lb. 93% lean ground beef
- 1 package (8 oz.) brown mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 3 cups jarred marinara sauce
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Mix the beef, mushrooms, salt, pepper, egg, oregano, and bread crumbs in a bowl. Form into 16 balls and place in the prepared casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, on the top oven rack until the meatballs begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Discard any fat in the casserole dish and cover with the tomato sauce. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Cover the dish tightly with foil and cook for 45 minutes on the middle oven rack until bubbly and cooked through. Sprinkle basil on top before serving.