Made with mushrooms and walnuts, these ‘meatballs’ are so flavorful, everyone will think they’re the real thing.
Serves: 6Prep: 45 minutesCook: 35 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, very finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce Romano cheese, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Cook mushrooms and onion until mushrooms have given off liquid and browned, and onion is soft and translucent, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat; add garlic and walnuts. Cool to room temperature.
- Stir in breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, eggs, salt and red pepper flakes to mushroom mixture. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Shape mixture into 22 balls, about 2 tablespoons each. Brush balls with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Bake until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.