Mushroom Polenta Burgers
Heart healthy Mushroom Polenta Burgers are delicious veggie burgers that can be made ahead of time and reheated. You can also include cooked wild rice, carrots, celery, spices, and herbs.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- ½ cup onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- ½ cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, minced
- 1 tsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- 5 cups water
- 2 cups cornmeal
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup safflower oil
- In a skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until translucent. Add mushrooms, sage, and rosemary, and sauté until mushrooms are cooked through.
- In a saucepan, bring water to boil. Add cornmeal, mushroom and onion mixture, and salt. Lower heat and continue stirring until water is absorbed.
- Pour polenta into baking pan. Let cool in refrigerator.
- Cut out circles, using cookie cutter or large glass jar.
- Heat safflower oil in skillet and pan fry burgers until browned on both sides.