Mushroom and Red Wine Sauce
Try this sauce over your favorite pasta.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 12 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 Tbsp. minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 can (28 oz.) whole tomatoes in purée, undrained
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 lb. fettuccini, cooked
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms start to give off their juices, about 5 minutes. Continue to cook until the juices evaporate, about 2 more minutes.
- Add the wine and let wine come to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium; continue to simmer uncovered for 2 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms and wine to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Return the skillet to the burner and increase heat to medium-high. Heat the remaining olive oil, then add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir continuously for 30 more seconds.
- Add the onion mixture to the slow cooker. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the basil, the parsley, and all of the tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 10–12 hours.
- Serve over hot pasta with the remaining basil.