Add some healthy greens to this risotto, such as asparagus, peas, green beans, or baby spinach. Pick whatever is in season!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄3 cup bacon, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups hot chicken stock
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium-heavy skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the onions, garlic, bacon, mushrooms, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until mushrooms brown and the bacon is crisp.
- Add the rice and stir to coat each grain in the oil. Add the wine and stir until the rice has absorbed the wine.
- Add 1 ladle of stock and stir until it is absorbed by the rice. Keep adding 1 ladle of stock at a time, stirring until the stock is absorbed by the rice. After 3 1⁄2 cups of stock, check the rice for doneness. It should be cooked but still al dente (it should have some firmness). If needed, add the remaining stock, 1 ladle at a time, until the rice is al dente.
- Stir in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir in the cheese. Remove the bay leaves and discard them. Serve immediately.