Add some healthy greens to this risotto, such as asparagus, peas, green beans, or baby spinach. Pick whatever is in season!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ⅓ cup bacon, finely chopped
- 1½ cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups hot chicken stock
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium-heavy skillet over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add the onions, garlic, bacon, mushrooms, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Cook for 5–6 minutes, or until mushrooms brown and the bacon is crisp.
- Add the rice and stir to coat each grain in the oil. Add the wine and stir until the rice has absorbed the wine.
- Add 1 ladle of stock and stir until it is absorbed by the rice. Keep adding 1 ladle of stock at a time, stirring until the stock is absorbed by the rice. After 3½ cups of stock, check the rice for doneness. It should be cooked but still al dente (it should have some firmness). If needed, add the remaining stock, 1 ladle at a time, until the rice is al dente.
- Stir in the butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Stir in the cheese. Remove the bay leaves and discard them. Serve immediately.