Savory, sautéed mushrooms are a popular addition to creamy risotto. This is easy to make but does require your constant attention, so it’s best to have all of your ingredients ready before starting.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1½ cups fresh button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp. chopped parsley leaves
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat vegetable stock. Reduce to low and continue to heat while you cook the rice.
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat oil and a tablespoon of butter. Add the mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until edges are browned and mushrooms give up their liquid and the liquid evaporates, about 6–8 minutes. Stir in rice; cook and stir for 3–4 minutes, until rice is opaque. Add the stock to the rice mixture about one cup at a time, stirring until the liquid is absorbed each time.
- When all the stock is added and rice is tender, remove from the heat, stir in cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir, sprinkle with chopped parsley, and serve immediately.