Spelt is an ancient wheat variety that is high in protein.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1½ tsp. salt, divided
- 1 package (10 oz.) mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 2 cups cooked spelt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over high heat until it shimmers and a piece of onion sizzles in it. Add the onion and garlic; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and cook for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until some browning occurs, about 5 minutes; add the sherry and cook until it has almost all evaporated, 2–3 minutes.
- Add the spelt and cook until heated through; season with pepper and remaining salt.