Shiitake mushrooms add a rich, bold flavor and also provide a variety of beneficial phytonutrients. Be careful not to overcook this stock.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 quart water
- 12 oz. white mushrooms
- 6 sprigs parsley (with leaves)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 leek (white part only), sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 oz. dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1½ tsp. black peppercorns
- ¾ tsp. dried sage
- ¾ tsp. dried thyme
- Combine all the ingredients except fresh thyme in a 6-quart slow cooker; cover and cook on low for 6–8 hours.
- Strain, discarding solids. Stock will keep in the refrigerator for 1–2 weeks.