Mushrooms Au Gratin
An excellent side dish that can be easily made in larger quantities.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. small button mushrooms, cleaned and stems trimmed
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp. brandy
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- Put the mushrooms in a medium-size bowl and stir in the lemon juice and brandy; let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat and sauté the shallot for 1 minute, without browning it. Add the marinade juices to the shallot and cook for 2 minutes to reduce the liquid.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes. Remove them from the skillet with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a shallow ovenproof dish, or individual crocks. Add the sour cream, tomato paste, honey, salt and pepper, and cayenne to the skillet juices, stir to mix, and boil for 2 minutes to reduce further. Stir in the mustard but do not allow the sauce to boil.
- Preheat the broiler on low. Pour the sauce over the mushrooms. Sprinkle the cheese over the mushrooms. Brown under a broiler until golden.