Mushrooms and Onions Sautéed in Butter
Even white button mushrooms can have a lot of flavor if they’re cooked right. These mushrooms make a great side dish or topping for steaks, eggs, and polenta.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Once the butter has stopped foaming, add one large handful of mushrooms. Sprinkle them lightly with salt and pepper. Cook for several minutes on each side, or until they’ve shrunk in size and turned dark brown. Remove from skillet and keep them warm.
- Repeat with the rest of the butter, oil, and mushrooms until all of the mushrooms are cooked.
- Add the onion and stir frequently for 5 minutes, or until they’re soft and starting to brown.
- Return the mushrooms to the skillet and stir occasionally for 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are hot again. Serve hot.