Mushrooms with Crispy Phyllo
This elegant appetizer also works as a side dish. It can be served hot or cold.
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush muffin tin and sheets of phyllo pastry lightly with melted butter.
- Crumple each sheet loosely into a 4" round shape.
- Gently press each round into a muffin tin cup.
- Bake the pastry for about 8 minutes, or until crisp.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, thyme, pinch of salt, pepper and sherry; stir-fry over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Spoon mushroom mixture into phyllo cups.
- Garnish with a sprig of thyme.