Mussels in Saffron Sauce
The floral broth from the saffron and mussels is best served alongside toasted bread to soak up the fragrant juices.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup clam juice
- ¼ tsp. saffron threads
- 3 lbs. black mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Heat a wok or large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter. Once the oil is hot and butter has melted, add in the shallots and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add in the wine, clam juice, and saffron threads. Once the liquids come to a boil, add in the mussels, cover with a lid, and cook for 5–7 minutes or until the mussels have opened.
- Season with salt and pepper. Transfer contents to a large serving dish and sprinkle the top with the parsley. Serve immediately.