This is a thick, creamy stew. It’s absolutely delicious and perfectly quick and simple to make.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery tops
- 3 1⁄2 lbs. mussels, scrubbed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1⁄2 lemon
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Sauté the onion in the butter until soft. Work in the cornstarch. Whisk in the white wine and add the celery tops. Mix and bring to a boil.
- Pour in the prepared mussels. Cover and continue to boil. After 2 minutes, stir to bring the bottom ones up.
- Have a large serving bowl on the side of the pot. Remove mussels as they open.
- When all of the mussels are open and removed from the pot, reduce heat and add the cream. Heat but do not boil. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour over the mussels; sprinkle with lemon juice and parsley. Serve in warm bowls with a big bowl for the shells.